Monday, January 5, 2009

Mom's Delicious Roll Recipe

Since I posted a picture of my mom's chili and hot rolls on Christmas Eve I thought I would also post her recipe for the rolls. I had never attemped to make anything that involved yeast as an ingredient until a little over a year ago. And now I have mastered these rolls. In fact this picture is of the rolls I made for Thanksgiving dinner this year. And I make them for Sunday dinner all the time instead of buying rolls at the grocery store bakery or Rhodes frozen dough. Thanks Mom for teaching me how to be so domestic! I can't wait to try another batch wearing one of my new aprons that I got for Christmas!!

Place in large bowl:
1 cup butter flavor Crisco (use only Crisco)
3/4 cup sugar (1 cup sugar for sweet rolls)
2 tsp. salt

Dissolve 2 tbs. yeast in 1/2 cup luke-warm water, let bubble up. Boil 2 cups water and pour over shortening mixture. Let cool slightly. Add: 4 beaten eggs and 2 cups flour. Beat with wooden spoon. (I do all of this in my kitchen aid mixer and it works just fine) Add yeast mixture. Gradually stir in 5 1/2 cups more flour, no more. Stir hard with wooden spoon. Place in greased bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled. Divide into 5 parts and make rolls. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 10-15 minutes. (When I roll them out I cut them into circles and dip them into melted butter and then fold them in half and then put them on my cookie sheets) They are delicious! Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those look delicious! I think thats the same recipe we use and they look like the ones Kolin makes-YUM! I guess I need to try to master them so Kolin can have a break :)